The Hobbit Animation Competition
Aardman have teamed up with Harper Collins to produce the official companion app for the new The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug movie, and to celebrate we’ve got a special Hobbit-themed animation competition with an AMAZING prize!
The official companion app is packed with exclusive content from the films and original novel by J.R.R. Tolkien and includes details and images of the characters, maps, trivia and much more. Download it from the iTunes store and Samsung Apps now.
In the new Hobbit movie the character of Smaug the dragon is seen emerging from a sea of gold coins deep inside The Lonely Mountain. We want you to recreate this moment in your own style of animation – it could be hand drawn, claymation, or you could use your own toys and props from around the house.
The winner of our competition will receive a special one-off model of Smaug the dragon, designed by Aardman Director Darren Dubiki and sculpted by Aardman’s Head Model Maker, Chris Entwhistle.
3 winners up will receive a full copy of the new Hobbit companion app created by Aardman and Harper Collins.
How to Enter
First you’ll need to plan how you are going to make your film:
• Download our special film kit for hints, tips and assets to use in your movie!
• Take a look at this video that one of our team made to help you get started!
• Once you’ve decided on what you’re going to make, it’s time to start animating! You can download a free trial of the Animate It! software from our website and take a look at lots of animation tutorials to get you started.
• Your film must be no longer than 1 minute – keep it short and sweet!
• Once you’ve finished your film, upload your video to YouTube (if you’re under 13 years old get a grown-up to help you with this)
• Post a link to your animation in the comments section below! Our competition closes at 12pm GMT on Friday 31st January 2014.
• The entries will be judged by the team at Aardman . You don’t have to be an expert animator – they will be looking for effort, originality and creativity as well as animation skill.
• Sorry adults, but you must be under 18 to enter the competition.